India’s climate is typically classified as a hot tropical country barring the northern states of Himachal Pradesh and Jammu & Kashmir in the north and Sikkim in the northeastern hills, which have a cooler and continental influenced climate. Mostly Indian summer is very hot, but not to forget that winters are equally harsh in certain parts of the country. India enjoys different weather cycles and seasons throughout the year but winter can become unbearably cold that people leave the places during this time of the year. Also Read: Christmas Eve 2020: From Singing Carols To Exchanging Gifts, Know Importance of The Day
With the onset of winter, the month of November witnessed the coldest in the national capital in 71 years, with the mean minimum temperature dropping to 10.2 degrees Celsius, according to the India Meteorological Department.
Here are the top 10 coldest places in India at the moment:
- Leh: It is not surpising that the largest town and the joint capital of the newly formed Union Territory Ladakh has topped the list of coldest places with the lowest minimum temperature at – 13 degrees Celsius. Ladakh was declared a UT in 2019 after the Centre scrapped Article 370 which had given special status to the former state of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Keylong: In the northern region a town namely Keylong, or Kyelang has recorded the second lowest minimum temperature of -7.7 degrees Celsius. The town located in the Himachal Pradesh is situated along the Manali-Leh highway where the three valleys converge namely -Chandra Valley, the Bhaga Valley, and the Chenab Valley.
- Pahalgam: As we move a little higher in the map, Pahalgam in the union terriorty of Jammu and Kashmir has taken the third spot after recording a minimum temperature of -6.6 degrees Celsius.It remains one of the most popular tourist destinations and also one of the coldest cities.
- Srinagar: The summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir which is home to the iconic Dal Lake, Srinagar has also made it to the list. It remains cold throughout the year an this time the temperature dropped below -5 degrees Celsius.
- Gulmarg: Gulmarg, known for its unique beauty, gondola rides and skiing, is another tourist destination in Jammu and Kashmir. It is also counted among the coldest places in the country all year round. Gulmarg is covered by snow during the winters with temperatures dripping below zero on a regular basis. The city reported a minimum temperature of -6 degrees Celsius.
- Kupwara: One of the hot bed for terrorist and the remote town of Kupwara has recorded a minimum temperature of -4.5 degrees Celsius. The town located in the west of Jammu and Kashmir is also closer to the border area.
- Kokernag: Kokernag, a sub district town in Jammu and Kashmir located in the Breng valley of the Anantnag district has witnessed a minimum temperature of -4 degrees Celsius.
- Qazigund: Qazigund, also located in Jammu and Kashmir’s Anantnag district, stands at an elevation of 1670 metres above the mean sea level. The town also reported a minimum temperature of -4 degrees Celsius.
- Kalpa: The village of Kalpa, located in the Sutlej river valley in Himachal Pradesh, recorded a minimum temperature of -0.6 degrees Celsius. The village is also a popular tourist destination in the state.
- Banihal: Located 35 km away from Qazigund in Jammu and Kashmir, Banihal is a rural area which reported a minimum temperature of -0.4 degrees Celsius.