Beijing: Hours before Joe Biden took oath as the 46th President of the United States, China announced sanctions on as many as 28 members of his predecessor Donald Trump’s administration. Former US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is among those on whom Beijing has imposed sanctions.
Foreign Ministry spokesperson said Beijing has decided to sanction 28 persons who have seriously violated the country’s sovereignty and who have been mainly responsible for such US moves on China-related issues.
“They include Michael R. Pompeo, Peter K Navarro, Robert C O’brien, David R. Stilwell, Matthew Pottinger, Alex M Azar II, Keith J. Krach and Kelly D.K. Craft of the Trump administration as well as John R. Bolton and Stephen K. Bannon,” the spokesperson said.
“These individuals and their immediate family members are prohibited from entering the mainland, Hong Kong and Macao of China. They and companies and institutions associated with them are also restricted from doing business with China,” the spokesperson added.
China had earlier strongly opposed the US accusations over the human rights issues in the north-western region of Xinjiang.
The outburst came as US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo earlier declared that China is committing genocide and crimes against humanity.
Meanwhile, slamming Trump, state-run media outlet Global Times, citing Chinese experts, said on Wednesday that changes he has made to the China-US relations and international relations have been largely negative and destructive, adding his governance has caused unprecedented and irreversible consequences.
According to Chinese experts, Trump further divided American grass roots and establishment elites, failed to realise the promise of getting manufacturing industry back to the US from overseas, caused “post-traumatic stress disorder” to US-led alliances and made China-US ties worsen to the brink of a new cold war despite the administration launching no war.